with cheese, pineapple skewers with chilli lime and mint salsa
12 bamboo skewers soaked 1 hour in water
1 small pineapple peeled
6 calamari steaks half thawed (30 pieces)
1 tsp sugar
2 vine ripened tomatoes
250gms of Kefalograviera cheese cut into 30 pieces
If you find this cheese is too soft – use Halloumi
1/3 cup natural macadamia oil
1/4 cup chopped mint
1. Cut pineapple into chunks in proportion to the number of pieces of calamari – say 30 pieces
2.Cook chillis that have been pricked with a fork on a hot grill plate or heavy cast pan until they are charred all over
3. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic
4. When chillis are cool, remove the skin and seeds and cut the flesh into strips. (Running water over chilli helps to remove their skins more easily).
– juice and zest of 1 lime which has been finely grated
– 1/3 cup natural macadamia oil
– 1 teaspoon of sugar
– 1/4 cup chopped mint
– 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped
6. Take half thawed calamari steak and rinse and roll lengthways into a sausage. Slice required thickness (1cm or 1/4” is a good size)
7. Thread the rolled portion onto a skewer, making sure the tip of the skewer comes through to the end of the calamari strip.
Thread a piece of pineapple and cheese onto each skewer and repeat this order
8.Cook skewers on a hot plate until calamari is firm and white
9.Serve with steamed rice and a generous amount of salsa
Halloumi is a great alternative cheese. Also, add some Lacewood Dragon’s Roar to the Salsa for that extra bite!
© Copyright 2020 – The Original SQUID Inc.