Lemon and Parsley Crumbed Calamari Skewers
6 Calamari steaks half-thawed
Cup of breadcrumbs
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
3 tsp finely chopped parsley leaves
Peanut or Vegetable Oil for frying in
1. Rinse each steak one at a time
2. Roll tightly lengthwise into a sausage
3. Holding tightly, slice into 1/4 plus slices and skewer at the same time so the point of the skewers come out near the end of the calamari tip
4. Place required circular calamari pieces onto a skewer: 4-5 is a good number
5. Mix remaining ingredients with breadcrumbs and pat firmly around calamari skewers
6. Heat oil in a wok at 185ºC
7. Place skewers into oil being careful not to overcrowd the cooking
8. Cook until Calamari has turned white
9. Serve with a good squeeze of lemon or one of your favourite Lacewood Salsa
You will have noticed that I have not floured or egg washed the calamari skewers.
This product of SquidInc never ceases to amaze me! The skewer comes out lightly crumbed and sticks to the surface of the calamari. This recipe will not work with any other species of squid or calamari! You can also place skewers on paper towelling and you will see very little oil is left behind.
Flouring and egg washing before crumbing holds more oil. The low-fat content of calamari, even with the crumbling, does not increase the fat content dramatically. The kids will love it too! – Jack Psellos
© Copyright 2020 – The Original SQUID Inc.